Sponsored by Highmark and Black Women for Positive Change, Pittsburgh (BW4PC) in collaboration with Voices Against Violence, the Coalition Against Violence, and the
Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh.
WE WANT TO HEAR YOUR IDEAS ABOUT HOW VIOLENCE IMPACTS YOUR LIFE AND COMMUNITIES, WHAT YOU THINK NEEDS CHANGE, AND YOUR PLAN ON WAYS TO
STOP VIOLENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
RULES OF THE COMPETITION:
● STUDENTS SHOULD REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE AT: HTTPS://FORMS.GLE/BD22ODIDP2DYZ91MA
● ESSAY CONTENT MUST BE ORIGINAL & CREATED BY HIGH SCHOOL
STUDENTS AGES 14 – 19.
● ESSAY SHOULD BE MINIMUM 2 PAGES IN LENGTH (Approximately – 2,500
● MUST HIGHLIGHT ONE OR MORE THEMES LISTED BELOW
● INCLUDE STUDENT’S NAME, AGE, AND SCHOOL ON THE DOCUMENT
● DEADLINE FOR ALL SUBMISSIONS: Friday, February 7, 2020, 11:58 pm.
● Upload all Essays to: https://www.dropbox.com/request/MHsE1vX9s05ky4qSLK59
Essay Must Address the Theme:
Many of our young people experience violence in their neighborhoods.
What do you think could be done to change the violence in your neighborhood;
what kind of plan would you develop to stop violence in your community?
Cash Prizes: The selected winners will win 1st ($200), 2nd ($150), and 3rd ($100) place cash prizes. Selection of the winning entries will be made by a diverse panel of judges, including artists, writers, anti-violence activists, and community leaders.
Focus on Distressed Communities: While this project is inclusive of all youth, regardless of
ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation, religion, or national origin, the focus will be on youth who live in distressed communities that regularly experience violence and related traumas.
For more information, email: Diane Powell – firstname.lastname@example.org or
Maureen Anderson – M.Anderson.BW4PC@gmail.com
Photo credit to Aaron Burden.