1. Bryce Young 6’0″ 190lbs QB (Alabama): The reigning Heisman trophy winner who threw for over 4,700 yards, 47 Touchdowns and only 7 interceptions. Young is a smart and very efficient passer. He’s a mobile QB who delivers strikes even under pressure. I think Bryce Young is special!
2. CJ Stroud 6’3″ 215lbs QB (Ohio St.)- Stroud was a Heisman trophy finalist as a first year starter for the Buckeyes. He’s a big time playmaker, who never seems rattled. He plays with great poise and is a very accurate passer (71% completion percentage). Stroud led the nation in QBR. He had a great performance in the 2022 Rose Bowl. Some of the throws Stroud made were simply amazing!
3. Will Anderson 6’4″ 235lbs OLB/DE (Alabama)- Anderson was the best player on Alabama’s Defense last season. He’s a game changing pass rusher. He is the reigning SEC DPOY and unanimous All American. Anderson Had 17.5 sacks and 34 tackles for loss in 2022.
4. Myles Murphy 6’5″ 275lbs DE (Clemson)- Murphy is a versatile defensive lineman and can play tackle or end. He is relentless, very athletic and posses a quick first step. Some scouts compare him to 2022 1# pick Travon Walker. Murphy racked up 12 sacks and 25 tackles for loss over the last 2 seasons.
5. Jaxon Smith-Njiba 6’0″ 194lbs. WR (Ohio St.)- Smith-Njiba is an excellent route runner with great speed that enables him to create separation. He hauled in 95 catches for over 1,600 yards and 9 TDs last season. Smith-Njiba Averaged 17 yards per catch; he had a great performance in the 2022 Rose Bowl grabbing 15 catches for 347 yards.
Platts Top 5 2022 NBA Prospects
1. Jabari Smith 6’10” 220lbs. (Auburn)- Smith is the best pure shooter in this years draft and he’s only a freshman! Super talented Combo Forward is NBA Ready!
2. Paolo Banchero 6’10” 250lbs. (Duke)- Banchero has the size to go with major offensive skills and he’s versatile. The power forward has the potential to be a go to scorer. He can score on all 3 levels, posses a Nice mid- range game and reminds me of Chris Weber.
3. Jaden Ivey 6’4″ 200lbs. (Purdue)- A very explosive combo guard with crazy athleticism. There’s not too many defenders that can stay in front of Ivey.
4. Chet Holmgren 7’0″ 196lbs. (Gonzaga)- Holmgren is A smooth 7′ footer who can handle the rock, Shoot the 3 and protect the rim. He is very gifted and just needs to add weight !
5. Johnny Davis 6’5″ 197lbs. (Wisconsin)- A crafty slashing two guard who is deadly in the mid- range game. Davis is a pure 3 level scorer, who is known for making big time shots at Wisconsin.
HBCU 2022 NBA Draft Prospects
In addition to these players being my HBCU 2022 NBA Draft prospects. All 3 of these these players have received invitations to the 2022 NBA G- League Elite Camp. May 16th and 17th at Wintrust Arena in Chicago, Illinois.
1. Brison Gresham 6’9″ 245lbs. (Texas Southern) – This former Houston Cougar recruit was a defensive specialist at Texas Southern. He had 71 blocks while averaging 2.3 blocks this past season. Gresham had a pretty good game at the HBCU All Star Game and drew the attention of several NBA scouts.
2. Kyle Foster 6’5″ 175lbs. (Howard)- Foster is a 3 point sniper! Shooting 46% from beyond the arc. He lead the nation in 3 point percentage nearly all season.
3. MJ Randolph 6’4″ 175lbs. (Florida A&M)- The 2022 SWAC POY is a straight scorer and for a 6’4″ shooting guard he’s a very good rebounder. He Averaged over 5 rebounds per game in the last 2 seasons. He must improve his 3 point shooting.
The NBA currently has only one player from an HBCU on a NBA roster. Robert Covington of the LA Clippers; Covington was undrafted out of Tennessee State in 2013. Covington just finished his 11th NBA season and recently agreed to a 2 year 2.4 million contract extension.