Carrington Named ACC Rookie of the Week
PITTSBURGH – Guard Carlton Carrington garnered ACC Rookie of the Week honors after beginning his Pitt career in dramatic fashion. The Baltimore, Md., native recorded a triple-double in the season opener and averaged 18.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, and 7.0 assists per game, while shooting 56.5 percent (13-of-23) from the field (7-of-13 3FG), as Pitt opened the season with a pair of lopsided wins.
He is the third Pitt freshman to collect ACC Rookie of the Week accolades, joining Trey McGowens (2018-19) and Justin Champagnie (2019-20) who each earned the award twice during their freshman seasons.
Carrington opened his career with 18 points, 12 rebounds, and 10 assists in a 100-52 win over NC A&T to become just the second freshman in ACC history to record a triple-double in their college debut. He went 7-of-12 from the field, including 4-of-7 from three-point range as Pitt topped the century mark for the first time since the 2016-17 season.
Additional notes from his season opening triple-double include.
- First Division I player to record a triple-double in his debut since Notre Dame’s Chris Thomas accomplished that feat against Sacred Heart Nov. 16, 2001.
- First Pitt triple-double since the 1997-98 season and the fifth overall in program history.
- 10th triple-double by an ACC freshman in league history. He and Dennis Scott (Georgia Tech) are the only freshmen to record a triple-double in their first career game.
- 22nd triple-double by a freshman in the NCAA since the start of the 2009-10 season.
The 6-5, guard followed up his sterling debut with an 18-point, 3-rebound, 4-assist effort in an 89-60 win over Binghamton. He went 6-of-11 from the field overall, including 3-of-5 from three-point distance.
Pitt returns to action Monday, Nov. 13 at the Petersen Events Center with a 7 p.m. tipoff against Florida Gulf Coast (ACC Network).
Pitt – ACC Rookie of the Week History
- Carlton Carrington – Nov. 13, 2023
- Justin Champagnie – Feb. 10, 2020
- Justin Champagnie – Jan. 27, 2020
- Trey McGowens – Jan. 14, 2019
- Trey McGowens – Dec. 31, 2018
(Story courtesy of Pitt Athletics)