Here’s an update on what’s happening in the World of Sports…
National Football League
- NFL Reinstates WR Martavis Bryant-One year after he was suspended for the entire 2016 season, the Steelers 3rd year WR was conditionally reinstated by the NFL Tuesday and will be monitored and undergo frequent drug testing, but can participate in preseason activities. Bryant has missed a total of 20 games in a professional career.
- RB Adrian Peterson signs a 1-year deal with Saints-It was speculated that he might join Green Bay, Seattle or New England, but when the smoke cleared, RB Adrian Peterson agreed to join the New Orleans Saints as they signed the former Minnesota Viking to a 1-year deal plus an option worth $7 million. Peterson became a free agent when the Vikings decided not to pick up their $18 million option on him.
- NFL Conditionally Reinstates Arizona LB Daryl Washington-The Steelers Bryant wasn’t the only player conditionally reinstated Tuesday as the Arizona Cardinals learned that LB Daryl Washington also earned that invite, but the Cardinals were swift to say that “It would be premature today to discuss a potential return to the team.” Washington had been suspended since 2014 for violating the NFL’s Substance Abuse Policy.
- NFL Draft-This year’s version of the Draft will take place Thursday, April 27th at 8 pm for Round 1, Friday, April 28th for Rounds 2-3 and will conclude Saturday, April 29th for Rounds 4-7 on the famed ‘Rocky Steps’ in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Steelers Pick Up Option on LB Shazier-He was the Steelers first round pick in 2014, made his first Pro Bowl in 2016 and the Steelers rewarded LB Ryan Shazier by picking up his club option for 2018. After the departure of veteran LB Lawrence Timmons, Shazier is expected to become more of a key figure in the Steelers defense.
National Basketball League
- NBA Playoffs-Defending champ Cleveland finished off Indiana in a 4-game sweep, as did Golden State as they swept Portland in 4 games. Many feel like these 2 teams could meet for a 3rd consecutive time in the NBA Finals.
- Rapper Drake to help unveil MVP on NBA Awards show-As the NBA gets ready to host their first-ever awards show June 26th, they’ve announced that rapper Drake will help reveal who will win the NBA Most Valuable Player. The awards show will also present the Rookie of the Year, Sixth Man of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year and the Coach of the Year awards.
- Larry Bird Delivers Pacers 2021 All-Star Big in IndyCar-Larry Bird has done many amazing things in his Hall of Fame NBA Career, but the Pacers president did another amazing thing as he delivered the Pacers All-Star Big to host the 2021 NBA All-Star Game to NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. The Pacers haven’t hosted the All-Star Game since 1985.
Major League Baseball
- Marlins agree to sell the team to former Yankee Jeter and Bush-An ownership group led by former NY Yankee Derek Jeter and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush have won the auction for the Miami Marlins baseball team, which has been owned by Jeff Loria, a NY art dealer. Jeter and Bush paid a reported $1.3 Billion for the team.
- Pirates place P Bastardo on DL, recall P Barbato-He’s struggled so far and has posted an ERA of 16.20, and now the Pittsburgh Pirates have placed relief pitcher Antonio Bastardo on the DL with a left quad strain and have recalled P Johnny Barbato whom they acquired from the NY Yankees for a player to be named later or cash.
National Hockey League
- Penguins will face Capitals in Round 2-For the 2nd consecutive year, the Pittsburgh Penguins will face the Washington Capitals in a Round 2 Matchup in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The defending Stanley Cup Champion Penguins beat the Capitals 4 games to 2 last season.
- Dale Earnhart Jr. Retires-Famed NASCAR Driver Dale Earnhart announced his retirement from racing at the end of the 2017 season. At a Tuesday news conference, Earnhardt stated that he wanted to lead stock-car racing on his own terms.
Please e-mail Ray at email@example.com
Follow him @urbanmediaRay on twitter