As the Month of March comes to an end, here’s what’s happening in the world of sports….
- Final Four-3 weeks after the NCAA Tournament began with 68 teams, only four remains. #1 Seeds North Carolina and Gonzaga, #3 Oregon and #7 South Carolina will battle for the right to advance to the National Championship Game. Each of these teams has proven themselves worthy of winning their respective regions and have played a huge part in making this a very exciting Big Dance. Oregon will face North Carolina, while South Carolina will face Gonzaga.
- South Carolina and Oregon-When the early brackets were filled out, no one could predict that these two teams would still be standing as we’re used to seeing these schools succeed in College Football, not basketball. After pulling off the huge upset over Kansas, Oregon makes their first Final Four since 1939 while the Gamecocks make they’re first ever Final Four after upsets of #2 Duke, #3 Baylor and #4 Florida.
- Uconn still dominates Women’s college hoops-In an age where upsets are pretty common, the University of Connecticut Huskies Women’s basketball team is one of the few exceptions. They rule women’s basketball, and it looks like they’re headed to another National Championship, which would be their 5th straight and 10th Oh, and the last time they lost a game? 2014, or 863 days ago.
- Duquesne finally gets their Head Coach-Weeks after parting ways with Jim Ferry, Duquesne hired former Akron HC Keith Dambrot as the next man to lead their men’s basketball team. Dambrot has an impressive resume, compiling a 305-139 record in 13 seasons with the Zips. If he’s looking for a challenge, he’ll get one with the Dukes, who’re looking for a huge light in their longstanding ‘tunnel.’
National Football League
- Seahawks are listening to offers for CB Richard Sherman-Suprised aren’t you? Why would the Seahawks do such a thing? The reports are that it’s because the All-Pro CB had a rough 2016 which included two blowups at coaches on the sidelines and apparently HC Pete Carroll is getting a bit tired of it. Plus, they owe $11 million over the next two years on his contract as well, but then again that’s probably the main reason why Sherman won’t be going anywhere.
- RB Marshawn Lynch (kinda) makes it official-Carroll has also stated that his former RB is officially contemplating a comeback to the NFL, one year after announcing his retirement. If he does, the Seahawks still own his rights as well as $19 million due to him over the next three seasons. The Oakland Raiders want him for sure, but it would take the Seahawks cutting or trading him for that to happen.
- The Las Vegas Raiders-Speaking of those Raiders, it was made official that they will be relocating to Las Vegas…in 2019. The NFL owners approved a near-unanimous vote of 31-1 (that one team being the Miami Dolphins) of the eventual move. They will remain in Oakland the next two seasons.
- Martavis Bryant Update-The Steelers WR has been suspended for one year for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, and now it appears that Martavis Bryant’s reinstatement to the league appears ‘imminent’ according to a league source. The deadline to reinstate players was supposed to be March 28th, but apparently commissioner Roger Goodell is taking his time.
National Basketball League
- Cleveland Cavaliers struggles-The defending champs are going through it, and now they’re no longer the best in the Eastern Conference as the Boston Celtics now have that title. It’s no surprise that the Cavs are frustrated as the playoffs loom. G Kyrie Irving takes responsibility for their slump as he said “I think we all had to do it. But for me more importantly…I had to look in the mirror and just wasn’t doing enough..” here’s hoping the team follows his lead, especially LeBron James.
- Washington Wizards win Division Title-Yep you read it right. The former Washington Bullets finish in first place for the first time since 1978-79 when Wes Unseld was still patrolling the paint. These days you have John Wall getting it done, and he deserves NBA MVP votes for it. HC Scott Brooks deserves NBA Coach of the Year.
- Knicks Joakim Noah suspended-It honestly seems like the NY Knicks are cursed. They can’t get themselves together on the court and are as much of a mess off the court. The Knicks F was given a 20-game suspension for alleged PED use, and it will start immediately.
- Warriors F Kevin Durant expected to return in the regular season-The prize free agent signing of the Golden State Warriors suffered a costly injury that stated that he would miss the rest of the regular season, but according to the team, Kevin Durant could return for the regular season, which will end April 12th. Apparently, this is a way to keep Durant from going into the playoffs in a rusty state.
National Hockey League
- Penguins Goalie Controversy??-Could be after starter Matt Murray has struggled of late and backup Marc-Andre Fleury has looked pretty good. They need to do whatever it takes to defend their Stanley Cup championship as the NHL Playoffs loom. The Pittsburgh Penguins are 46-18 and are currently on a 3-game losing streak while sitting in 3rd place in the Metropolitan Division.
Please e-mail Ray at email@example.com
Follow me@urbanmediaRay on Twitter