Here’s the latest of what’s happening in the world of sports….
National Basketball League
- Warriors Become NBA Champions after beating Cavaliers-For the 2nd time in 3 years, the Golden State Warriors are kings of the NBA World after beating the Cleveland Cavaliers 129-120 to win the Best-of-Seven NBA Finals 4-1. It’s the 5th NBA Title for the Warriors as they have also won in 1947, 1956 and 1975.
- Durant Named NBA Finals MVP-He left Oklahoma City to join Golden State to win a ring, but Kevin Durant wanted it so bad that he dominated the NBA Finals after averaging 35.2 points in those 5 games. And for his efforts, he was named Finals MVP. His only other Finals appearance with OKC when they lost to LeBron James’ Miami Heat in 2012.
- LeBron Loses 5th Finals-He’s now 3-5 in 8 NBA Finals appearance, but it doesn’t tarnish Cavs F LeBron James legacy as he truly left it on the court in this recent loss to the Warriors. King James averaged a triple-double (33.6 points, 12.0 rebounds and 10.0 assists) in 5 games. He’s the first NBA Player to accomplish this feat.
- Warriors Championship Parade Set for Thursday-The Warriors won the NBA Championship at home and the party will continue Thursday as they will have their victory parade in downtown Oakland.
National Football League
- Steelers RB Bell not at mini-camp-It was rumored, and now it’s reality. Pittsburgh Steelers RB Le’Veon Bell didn’t show up to the team’s Mandatory Mini-Camp Tuesday and the speculation is that it’s over not receiving a new contract. Bell was tendered the Franchise Tag of $12.1 million, but because he has not signed it, he is unable to participate in camp.
- Tomlin ‘indifferent’ towards Bell’s Absence-The Steelers Head Coach had this to say about Bell, who wasn’t in Mini-camp- It’s a waste of my time to focus on the guys that are not available to me, whether it’s injury or otherwise, I tend to focus on the guys that are here and working. I think that’s appropriate when you are in my position.”
- Steelers T Villanueva is in Mini-camp-Although Bell isn’t in Mini-camp, Steelers T Alejandro Villanueva is in Mini-camp after missing Organized Team Activities (OTAs) which aren’t mandatory. However, the Steelers T Still hasn’t signed his exclusive-rights Tender.
- Giants Beckham is in Mini-camp-In a surprising move, NY Giants All-Pro WR Odell Beckham Jr is in Mandatory Mini-camp despite his contract situation that kept him out of OTAs. The WR stated that his contract situation “Is not for me to discuss.”
- Ravens sign former Chiefs WR-The KC Chiefs made a move to shore up their receiving corps by agreeing with WR Jeremy Maclin on a 2-year deal. The veteran WR chose the Ravens over the Buffalo Bills and the Philadelphia Eagles, who drafted him #1 in 2009.
Major League Baseball
- Pittsburgh Pirates-They are still in last place, but this team is only a few games out of first place in the lethargic NL Central Division. But the Pirates have been showing signs of life of late after taking 2 of 3 from the Miami Marlins and the first game vs. the red-hot Colorado Rockies.
- Pirates Draft pitcher in the first round of MLB Draft-With the 12th overall pick in the MLB Draft, the Pirates selected P Shane Baz from Concordia Lutheran High School in Tomball, TX. The Scouting Report on Baz is that his fastball tends to sit in the low 90’s with tailing action, touching 95. He attacks while commanding to the corners with it, and elevates to change the eye level.
- Aaron Judge-As the young NY Yankees Slugger continues to destroy AL pitching, there are many already comparing the 6-7 282-pound outfielder to Babe Ruth. Judge is now hitting .347 with 22 HR and 49 RBI and it’s only June.
National Hockey League
- Penguins Win Stanley Cup 2nd year in a Row-After beating the Nashville Predators 2-0 to clinch the NHL Finals Best of Seven Series 4-2, the Pittsburgh Penguins become the first NHL Team since the 1997-98 Detroit Red Wings to repeat as Stanley Cup Champions. C Sidney Crosby wins the Conn Smythe Award (Playoff MVP) for the 2nd straight year.
- Pens Parade Set for Wednesday-The Penguins Championship Parade is set for Wednesday for the 2nd straight season through downtown Pittsburgh.
- G Fluery Waives No Movement Clause-Penguins veteran G Marc-Andre Fluery waived his No-Movement Clause, allowing the Penguins to leave him unprotected in the Expansion Draft for the Las Vegas Golden Knights who are reportedly interested in the goalie. Fluery was the Pens overall #1 draft pick in 2003 and has earned 3 rings with the team. He was replaced by G Matt Murray in the past 2 Stanley Cup victories.
Please e-mail Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow him @urbanmediaRay on twitter