- Steelers vs. Colts-After their bye week, the 6-2 Pittsburgh Steelers are back in action as they will take on the 3-6 Indianapolis Colts Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium. The Steelers currently lead the AFC North Division by almost 3 games over 2nd place Baltimore (4-5)
- State of the Colts- Apparently, this Colts team is slightly different as their missing franchise QB Andrew Luck as he will miss the rest of the season with injuries. Luck also missed most of the last season, including the Thanksgiving matchup against the Steelers last season in which the Steelers won 28-7.
- Steelers history vs. sub.500 teams-Given their history against sub .500 teams (5-11 in their last 16 games) the Steelers know better as they seem to play down to the level of their competition. If such a statement is true, then the Steelers need a reminder of what it means to respect the opponent-regardless of their record.
- Tomlin’s comments on Steelers struggles vs. losing teams head coach Mike Tomlin was asked why they struggle against sub. 500 teams and his response was this “Maybe in the past, maybe we weren’t as good as maybe you thought we were.” He may be right when they don’t show up like they didn’t do against the Chicago Bears and the Jacksonville Jaguars. Hopefully, they get it together against a Colts team who pulled off the surprise upset over Houston on Sunday.
- Steelers injury report The Steelers should be healthier because Tomlin stated that DE Stephon Tuitt and OT Marcus Gilbert should be back from their respective injuries. You can add TE Vance McDonald to that list as well. However, LB James Harrison is on the injured list with a back injury.
- Steelers will play Next Thursday as wellThe Steelers have a chance to extend their record to 8-2 by the end of next week, provided they beat the Colts Sunday and the Tennessee Titans at home Thursday night. Those 2 wins combined with a Ravens loss could put the Steelers close to their 3rd AFC North Division title in 4 years.
- Steelers will wear Decal Sunday-In honor of Veterans Day and OT Alejandro Villanueva; the Steelers will wear helmet decals representing the various Army divisions. Such an effort was led by Villanueva who served as an Army Ranger. Those decals will be cool to see.
- Dallas Owner threatens to Sue NFLYep, you read it right. Apparently Cowboys boss Jerry Jones doesn’t want NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to sign an extension to remain in his role, and he’s willing to sue the league if they do and he’s even hired NY Attorney David Boies. Wow. JJ doesn’t think the Goodell is doing a respectable job.
- NFL’s response to Jones? ESPN reports that the NFL expects 5-year extension with Goodell to be finalized soon, despite Jones’ threatened lawsuit. Take that
- Elliot’s Suspension is back on Speaking of those Cowboys, RB Ezekiel Elliot’s 6-game suspension is back on after his injunction request was denied by the Second Circuit Court. I honestly think they should’ve just let Elliot serve his suspension the first 6 games of the season. Now he will be out in the Cowboys most critical months.
- Are the Cowboys in trouble? Elliot is valuable to the Cowboys, but I don’t think they’re in trouble as they have proven veteran Alfred Morris as his backup. Sure, Morris is more of a bruiser, but he did run for 1,616 yards as a member of the Washington Redskins in 2012 and rushed for 2 more 1,000-yard seasons there as well. Morris will do well behind that excellent offensive line.
- Gordon is back with the Browns-Yes, troubled WR Josh Gordon has been conditionally reinstated by the NFL after being suspended for 2 years for drug use. He can practice with the team and I hope he’s learned his lesson because the 0-8 Browns desperately need his help. Provided their QB’s can get him the ball.
- NBA News-The league has announced that the 2020 All-Star Game will be held at Chicago’s United Center for the first time in that arena’s history. The last time it was held in Chicago was at old Chicago Stadium when Michael Jordan won the Slam Dunk Contest and was also MVP of the All-Star Game.
- Is NY Knicks C Kristaps Porzingis for real? Yes, he is. He’s the First player to averaged 30 points through the first 10 games of the season & the Knicks are 6-4. Yeah, it’s still early. But that kid can play.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo– Yes, ‘The Freak’ is still for real and the addition of F Eric Bledsoe from the Suns may make this team better, despite their 4-6 record.
- Is Boston For Real? They were in year’s past and now they’re even better with the addition of Kyrie Irving as he’s taken on a leadership role while averaging 22.0 points per game. They currently lead the Eastern Conference. I had my doubts, but I’m impressed.
- Cleveland Cavaliers-The’s trying to rebound after a struggling start, but they remain confident as LeBron James compares their struggles to his first year in Miami. James also said that they’re not trying to rush new teammate Isaiah Thomas back as he continues to recuperate from hip surgery. I agree, but he will truly be a huge addition whenever he returns.
- Pitt Basketball– Nobody is giving this team a chance because HC Kevin Stallings had to add 11 players to this team after several players either left of graduated and after beating Slippery Rock in a 71-59 exhibition win, the Panthers real schedule starts in a Veterans Classic matchup vs. Navy. Hopefully, they will make a huge impression.
- Keys to the Panthers-I would say JUCO transfer Jared Wilson-Frame who showed he can make things happen as he scored 24 points in the win vs. Slippery Rock. He looks like he can be a game-changer, but time will tell as the competition will get better.
- Remembering Roy Halliday-It was heartbreaking to hear about the passing of the former 8-time All-Star pitcher who also won 2 Cy-Young awards while playing with Toronto and Philadelphia. Halliday lost his life Tuesday when his jet crashed into the Gulf of Mexico. He was a class act and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.
Pitt Edged by North Carolina, 34-31
North Carolina Anthony Ratliff-Williams had 230 all-purpose yards while leading the Tar Heels. Pitt’s Darrin Hall ran for 4 TD and 121 yards.
Please e-mail Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow him @urbanmediaRay on twitter