For those who didn’t know, the right to bear arms is a constitutional right. This right can be found in the second amendment of the US constitution. More than 200 years ago, the Founding Fathers of the United States have decided to grant this right to American citizens and they have called it a natural right. In the recent period, there are many debates between experts and ordinary people about gun control and the growing number of gun-related accidents and incidents. Obviously, there are some disadvantages of the right to own a gun and bear arms, but the truth is that there are many pros too. So, what exactly are the pros related to this right?
- First of all, the right own and use a gun in certain circumstances guarantees better self protection. There is no doubt that guns are very effective when it comes to handling unprovoked attacks, protecting your life and the life of your family. The constitution and other laws give people the right to use guns against other people when they are physically attacked. This right has saved the lives of many people and we can confirm this through statistics related to gun-related incidents.
- Even though this argument might be perceived as emotional, the truth is that many Americans consider this right to be a true symbol of freedom. People who own guns don’t need to use them in order to feel this individual liberty. The fact that they own a gun is sufficient. Obviously, there are few other mechanisms to protect our freedom, but none of them is as effective as this one.
- Some supporters of this right, argue that without it many people won’t care whether they have committed criminal acts in the past. The truth is that only people with clear history can own a gun. In addition, people who own guns must complete a few courses before they actually get the gun. Finally, the right to carry concealed weapon in public is obtained after several other criteria are met.
- According to some stats and projections, armed citizens can lower the crime rate. Armed citizens can reduce the cases of homicides by about 9% and the cases of rapes by 5%. This might not sound like a huge figure to some people, but thousands of homicides and rapes are committed in the United States each year.
- There are also some people who say that the fact that there are so many illegal firearms in the United States, makes owning a legal gun quite logical. This means that when people are dealing with armed criminals they should have the capability to defend themselves and using a gun is the only way to protect yourself from an armed criminal willing to use their weapon.
These are only some of the Pros that gun supporters use and it seems that even though some regulations related to gun control are changing, the right to bear arms won’t be affected in the near future.